Thursday, March 3, 2011

Motivation

So I can’t really explain it, but there is no greater feeling than accomplishing one of those earth shattering, unbelievable workouts that puts you in  a state of i-can-do-anything mentality.  Having a bad day?  Go to the gym to work out some stress and frustration and 99.99% of the time you will come out feeling refreshed and ready to begin a new day.  I’ve found that if I am in a really bad mood, and just don’t even feel like working out, I can drag myself to the gym and sloth up to a treadmill…what follows is one of the greatest reactions hardwired in the human body.  My heart rate slowly rises, my body begins to heat up, bad thoughts go away, and the world seems right as I quicken my pace…7 mph, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10!!  I just sprinted for about 2 minutes straight and completed the best warm up I’ve had in years!  And to think, just 7 minutes ago, I was having an awful day.  We are wired for activity, it releases endorphins  and awakens happy thoughts and rewards us with a sense of accomplishment that no other activity can do.  I hop off the treadmill and hit the weights, and they’ve never felt lighter…I increase the poundage with each set, blaring some Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 311, and Tech9; no one is in the gym but me, I have a tunnel vision of intense focus to facilitate each movement with explosive power and strength.  An hour passes by, I am dripping sweat, breathing hard, and completely exhausted…yet I’ve never felt so alive and energetic!  This is the power of fitness, and a feeling I want everyone to know and love. 
Fitness is infectious, so pair up with a friend and motivate each other to get results, because staying motivated is the mental part of the game and its more times than not the reason people give up on their goals.  Hopefully I motivated some of you today to hit the gym and have one of the best workouts of your life…stay fit and stay happy!

1 comment:

  1. well said Biles- there is no greater feeling. there is not one time I've left the gym on a "bad day" wishing I hadn't gone.

    ReplyDelete