Sunday, February 9, 2014

Marathoner

Marathoner. That's what my Nike + account named me after I loaded all 26.2 glorious miles from my GPS watch after my first ever marathon.  It was worth all the miles, time, sweat, ice, and ibuprofen to see that word...Marathoner.

My last blog post was in 2012 after I had ran a half marathon, so why not post another after the marathon. I got a little busy in 2013, we had a baby, changed jobs, and moved, so my time for blogging suffered a bit. Now, it's 2014, and I'm running again, ALOT! It seems different this time around; I really enjoy running. Not that it was awful a few years ago, but I just feel like I'm doing it the right way, so that I get the most enjoyment out of my time on the road. I used to be concerned with speed, I'd set out for a 4 or 5 mile run and just take off like a bat out of hell. After 2 miles I was exhausted and suffered for the last 3.  Since I started running again back in November 2013, I just set out to complete a certain distance, no matter how long it took me to do it. It makes every run more enjoyable because I'm not out of gas at the end, so it keeps me coming back for more, and more is what I'm doing.

The marathon was grueling, we were drenched in sweat after only a mile due to the 100% humidity in New Orleans. Couple that with heavy fog and a light mist, our feet were soaked by mile 10, so the head games came into play early on in the race. I was wondering if I should stop and change my socks and shoes or just keep going. Should I start doubling up on gatorade at each stop or will that make my stomach too full? If I put on a hat will it change the way I look up the road and throw my posture off? Who's gonna win the Super Bowl? I had several conversations with myself over that 4 hour and 22 minute jog. One conversation I'm glad I had with myself was the one about pacing myself for the first half of the race, and not reverting back to my 'bat out of hell' technique. I felt like a million bucks after about 6 miles and really felt like I could increase my pace by at least 30 seconds, but I didn't, I just stuck it out, and promised myself if I had some left in the tank around 20 miles I could step it up a little. Well, I did have a little left so I sped up a bit, but by the time I was at mile 23 I was ready to cross that line, and my feet were screaming at me to get it over with! My wife joined me for the last 3.2 miles, and I can honestly say, I'm glad I had some company, because I was hurting! The last .2 seemed as long as the 26 miles before it, I swear they kept moving the finish line back! But when I finally got there, all that hard work paid off, as it was the most satisfying step I've ever taken as I crossed the line. I probably would have cried if there was any liquid left in my body, but the NOLA humidity had sucked it out of me! I could barely hold my medal as they handed it to me, but instantly I was rejuvenated knowing in my mind I had just completed something that less than 2% of the world's population will ever do.

Here are a few tips from my overall experience over the last 3 months:
1. Shoes, shoes, shoes. Get what's right for YOU. Go to a running store and have them evaluate how you run. The right shoes make all the difference in the world.
2. Drink Gatorade, not water, during runs over 90 mins long. Your body needs more than water when it starts to lose glycogen out of your muscles. For really long runs, I take in about 60-70g of carbs per hour using carb gels (GU) and Gatorade.
3. Dress for your run, and be comfortable. Good running shorts, socks, shirts and shoes are expensive for a reason. They last, and keep you comfy while you run. Layer up for cold runs, and use gloves and a beanie for anything under 40 degrees. My favorite cold weather item I bought this year was thermal compression tights. Legit.
4. Do some research...on everything. If you have a question about anything running related, there's probably an article on it. From chafing to music, there's a web page on it.
5. Get a training plan and stick with it. Knowing how far you have to run and when you have to do it helps you stick with your goal.
6. Attitude is everything. Keep a positive attitude and have fun achieving your goal!

Honestly, the race was the easiest part of the whole marathon experience. It's the college football Saturdays when I just wanted to wake up and drink bloody Mary's while watching Gameday, but instead had to set out for a 20 mile run with no medal waiting at the end for me. There are no finisher festivals at the end of a 20 mile run, no crowds, no aid stations, and certainly no glory. Those were the toughest days...and to be so consistent for 13 straight weeks, running through wind, rain, snow, sleet, ice storms. That is the toughest part about running a marathon. The day of 26.2 is nothing but a reward for all that hard work, where there is a medal waiting you at the finisher festival with thousands of people cheering you on! And the title, Marathoner, which will never be taken away from you.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!!!!! Great advice and congrats on completing your first marathon!!! I hope you blog more!

    ReplyDelete