Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!!

So I know it's very cliche of me to do this but it's a new year and I have high hopes for my year of fitness that is to be.  2012 is going to be the year I sign up for events...which I've never done in my life.  I'm talking about 5k's, 10k's, Mud Runs, Half-Marathons, Marathons (maybe), and Sprint Triathlons.  There may even be a few strength competitions if I can find them, because I also plan on breaking the 500lb deadlift barrier, which for a 170lb guy is not too shabby.
So to begin my new year I have decided to run a Half Marathon here in San Diego on March 11, thanks to a buddy of mine's perpetual urging, and my amazing wife's act of signing up for her first ever obstacle course 5k.  I was very inspired by both of them and I can't wait to watch my wife run her event in a few weeks.  I started my half training on Dec 31st and have ran at least 2.25 miles each of the 3 days since, all 3 including some trails, and hills which weren't very kind to me...its always tough getting back into the swing of things, especially running.  I was, at one time, a decent runner and so when I run after long layoffs in a not-so-fast-type-of-fashion, its a little disheartening, but I am confident it will come back quickly.
Well, anyways, here's to a tough 10 week half marathon training program for my first ever 13.1 mile trek through the streets of San Diego, and I hope all of you have something they want to attain this year.  I will do my best to pop in every now and then with some running tips and things I learn along the way in order to hopefully motivate someone to hit the pavement, trails, or treadmills for some heavy mileage!  Stay fit, and stay happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment