Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Vibrams Five Fingers = Super Strength and Balance

So I just finished what was hands down the best leg workout I've had in a long time.  Here it is by the numbers:  4 sets of Deadlifts, 225x10, 275x8, 315x6, 345x4...Leg Press 540x10, 720x8, 810x6...Reverse Box Lunges w/ Dumbbell 30x10, 35x10, 40x8 followed by two calf exercises, abs and 20 mins on a stationary bike.

To put the strength difference into perspective from my previous workouts, I maxed out at 315x2 on the deadlift just a week ago in my "regular old-fashioned" gym shoes but today with the Vibrams on I felt much more balanced with a better posture bringing the weight up off the floor.  I'm telling you this because I have extreme lower back pain and arch pain in both feet and its largely due to a weak lower body, improper posture, and lack of stretching.  After just 3 workouts with these new Five Finger shoes, I have awakened each morning with less pain in my lower back and feel much stronger all around.  My posture and form while wearing these shoes has dramatically improved and my legs/feet/ankles have been sore in places I've never been sore before, which is a good sign that the shoes are doing their job and strengthening my lower body like they should be. 

I will keep you updated on my thoughts about this amazing breakthrough in footwear, and in the meantime do yourself a favor and  go out and try some on...but try on 3 sizes, 1 up, 1 down, and the size they recommend for you, trust me you want these to fit correctly, otherwise, I see blisters in your future.  They have different models, the ones I settled on were the KSO, which are very versatile and are good for any type of activity, including water sports.  But they do have models strictly for running if that floats your boat :)  Happy hunting, see you at the gym!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this blog! And I've read so much about these shoes but just haven't tried them. I definitely have the lower back pain but try to do a good amount of yoga and pilates to improve posture. Maybe it's worth giving these a try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it's been a complete week with the Vibram Five Fingers, and I have to say, I am a firm believer in the therapeutic benefits of these shoes. Not only has my lower back pain decreased, I feel 100% more stable with these 'gloves' on my feet. Granted, it is still taking some getting used to, and my feet are a little sore, but soreness is a good thing in my opinion, pain is a different story, and I am not in pain. I'll update this blog after week 2 as well...til then, happy fitness to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are pain free! Amazing! I could always improve my posture that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just another follow up on the VFF's. So they finally have a flaw...the upper mesh is obviously not very well put together becuase the seam on the left foot is already coming loose. It has no effect on the shoe, they still fit just fine and hasn't changed my running ability, it's just more of a cosmetic thing.
    Also, I recently bought some Injinji Performance toe socks, and I wear them with the VFFs on longer runs. They are very comfortable, and are moisture wicking so they keep your feet dry and stop them from rubbing and developing blisters. Very good addition to the Vibram's in my opinion and I plan on buying several pair. Total mileage in the Vibrams so far is roughly 25 miles over the last two weeks. I can feel my feet getting stronger and my running posture/stride improving. It almost feels as though I am gliding and getting much lighter on my feet. I still feel that these shoes are a great running trainer and will help your run times improve greatly.

    ReplyDelete